Shropshire Hills Sustainable Business Scheme
Help keep the Shropshire Hills thriving by supporting businesses in the Sustainable Business Scheme.
Look out for businesses with the Buy Local - Be Sustainable stamp and support them where you can.
They have committed to becoming more sustainable and have signed up to:
- Reduce impact on the environment
- Benefit wildlife and landscape
- Involve local people and visitors
- Support the local economy
Click on the link on the right hand side to view all the businesses in the Scheme.
The scheme is run by the Shropshire Hills AONB Partnership and is open to all eligible businesses in and around the Shropshire Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB).
Download the Shropshire Hills Sustainable Business Scheme guide for businesses (pdf)
A guide for businesses
- By reducing energy costs
- Joint marketing, including a new website listing and directory
- Free use of a meeting room at the AONB Partnership Office
Get more custom
- By having more avenues to market
- Improved marketing; PR articles, Facebook and Twitter and promotion locally, regionally and eventually nationally through case studies of sustainable businesses
- Events and networking with other businesses and the public
- Appealing to eco-conscious consumers and those that want to support local businesses
Improve your profitability
- By potentially increasing margins as you become recognised for being more sustainable
- Getting more customers
- Reducing costs
What does 'sustainability' mean?
Sustainability is a process in which we all try continuously to "do better" in relation to:
- Creating a strong local economy
- Building healthy and happy communities
- Managing natural resources to ensure we do not deplete them
- Conserving and enhancing wildlife and the landscape
This is important to the future prosperity and vitality of the Shropshire Hills and we can all do something towards the process.
Examples of Sustainable Activities
Is my business eligible?
Please look at the eligibility criteria below to ensure your business can join. If you are uncertain or have any questions, please call us.
|Membership of Visit Britain's / AA star rating system
||Necessary for website to be linked to regional and national sites
|Farm holdings registered in an agri-environment scheme
||Where farm holdings are able to qualify
|High standards of animal welfare
||Intensive, indoor reared livestock or poultry enterprises will not be eligible
|Utilising local supply chains
||Listed on the shropshirehills-buylocal.co.uk website
What area is covered?
Businesses both within and near to the Shropshire Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty are all eligible, including surrounding
market towns and countryside.
The Shropshire Hills AONB Partnership reserves the right to
refuse inclusion in the scheme if they feel a business is too far away to have a real connection to the AONB.
For your £25 you will receive:
An annual fee of £25 is required to become a member. We will not be making money from your membership; all funds will be used to help run the scheme.
Free listing on our website; www.shropshirehills-buylocal.co.uk*
- A Sustainable Business Toolkit- a folder of information on how to make your business more sustainable
- PR opportunities
- Customer leaflets and leaflet dispensers
- A printed copy of the pledge and appraisal
- Window stickers
- Poster showing map of the AONB and market towns
- Free use of AONB Partnership meeting room
- Business discussion groups, visits and trade meetings
- Discounts with some retailers
*Businesses that produce or market local products that in themselves conserve and enhance the environment can be listed on the website without being a member of the scheme but will not receive the other benefits outlined above.
How do I get involved?
To become a member of the Shropshire Hills Sustainable Business Scheme you need to:
- Email the Shropshire Hills AONB Partnership on email@example.com to receive the appraisal and the licence agreement
- Complete the appraisal. This should be done by the proprietor or manager of the business. We can help you with this if you wish.
- Sign the licence agreement.
- Send this back to us with your annual fee of £25* and the completed appraisal.
- We will then print off the pledge and return it to you, along with a signed copy of the licence. The date will be the end of the month we receive the pledge and membership will be valid for 12 months from that date. We will also send you the poster, window sticker, sign, leaflets and email a pdf file of the "buy local- be sustainable" stamp.
- Display the pledge where your customers can see it.
- Attend the events, workshops and visits recommended by the scheme every year.
- Be committed to becoming more sustainable in the future- appraisals will be compared with the previous years to ensure businesses are progressing.
- We will remind you when your membership is due for renewal.
The Shropshire Hills AONB Partnership will not renew membership if these criteria are not met and may revoke membership where necessary.
* Cheques made payable to Shropshire Council
Terms and Conditions
The Shropshire Hills AONB Partnership is committed to encouraging more sustainable businesses and will make every effort to ensure that businesses included in this Scheme are genuinely committed to this cause.
- .Membership of the Scheme does not act as a recommendation, approval or endorsement of the goods or services offered by Members of the Scheme and it shall be a condition of the Scheme that Members shall not hold themselves out as having their goods or services recommended, approved or endorsed by Shropshire
Hills AONB Partnership or Shropshire Council.
- The Scheme is administered by Shropshire Hills AONB Partnership and Shropshire Council acts as accountable body for Shropshire Hills AONB Partnership. Any dispute regarding the Scheme will be dealt with by the AONB Partnership and any complaints will be dealt with under Shropshire Council's complaints procedure.
- Members participating in the Scheme agree that neither Shropshire Council nor any of its employees are responsible or liable for any claim, loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of membership or involvement in the Scheme.
- The 'Buy Local- Be Sustainable' logo and the Shropshire Hills logos are copyright © Shropshire Council.
- It is a condition of membership of the Scheme that the proposed member enters into a Licence Agreement with Shropshire Council for the use of the 'buy local- be sustainable' logo and at all times complies with the terms of that Licence Agreement.
- It is a condition of membership of the Scheme that the member complies at all times with the sustainability pledge. If you discover any members that are carrying out activities or promoting goods or services that are not in the spirit of the scheme, please notify the Shropshire Hills AONB Partnership.
Please contact Shropshire Hills AONB Partnership for more information
Tel: 01588 674094
Address: The Old Post Office, Shrewsbury Road, Craven Arms, Shropshire SY7 9NZ